More fiberglass work on the tail

Just when I thought I was done with fiberglass work on the empennage, a problem with the tail strobe/nav light proved me wrong.

I’m using Whelen’s LED nav lights and the tail light is just a little wider than the lower rudder cap can accommodate. Time to get out the Dremel saw and do some surgery…

Butchering the lower rudder cap

I did a rough cut to accommodate the electronics end of the light, then wrapped the light in packing tape as a release agent for the fiberglass I laid into the cutout area.

A bit of sanding around the cutout and I was ready for BID and resin.

The end result…a nicely-faired tail light! I didn’t capture a picture of the modified fairing but the change is barely perceptible from the original installation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.